Connectivity here on the Rhine is touch and go. It seems that we only get service when in port. And the computer in our room doesn't have a thumb drive...makes it difficult to upload pictures (but I'll figure out something!). I know...excuses, excuses.
It's good to hear from y'all. Except for the score of the Cowboys game and the weather in Dallas ;-) Oh well...maybe that's why we need vacations. Speaking of which...this place has really got some stuff to see.
We sailed from Nuremberg, but not before a welcome cocktail and a delicious dinner. There are ten of us, so finding a table was a little tricky, but I think Wally has the situation managed. Our waiter, Jeno, is very happy to have such fun people in his section. No. Really. He is. One of the best things about this cruise line is that they serve really good local wines with dinner. That's also one of the really dangerous things. Our first night here, we dusted several bottles before going to the bar and starting in on their supply. I'm not sure why this is, but on every trip I've been on, the first night seems to be party night. We all indulged a little too much...except for Dave. He went to bed early. He and Deb rented a car in Munich so they could drive to Nuremberg on the Autobahn. After getting his thrills, he let Debbie drive. I might have gone to bed early, too.
It's a good thing we got to sleep in a bit the next day, but Joe, Wally and LindaP were all movin' kinda slow and swearing off scotch and Uzo or life (yeah, Uzo...and what a good combination). I stuck to beer. Even so, I was a little wobbly, myself.
We arrived in Bamberg and took the city tour. Bamberg's been around forever. Their large cathedral was consecrated in 1012! Great cathedrals, good lore and beautiful scenery...I promise I'll get some pictures up. The funniest thing was that the bridal saint of Bamberg is Kunigunde (pronounced koonie-goondie). All Joe and I could think of was Eddie Murphy's story about his uncle Gus and his wife the big foot (it's not that funny if you don't remember Eddie's story) "goonie-goo-goo" It's really not polite to laugh out loud at cannonized saints in the middle of an ancient cathedral.
Unfortunately, we were soooo hung over that we weren't in the mood to try Bamberg's famous "smoked" beer. They say it tastes like liquid bacon...not at all what I'd like my beer to taste like. Oh, well...the lunchtime sausages were good.
Tuesday's is Wurzberg and our extra excursion to Rotenberg. I'll be back...with pictures!
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You passed up smoked beer? Really?
Post a Comment